Mamata accuses centre of inaction against 'ponzi' firms
Mamata showed the Marxist mouthpiece Ganashakti, pointing out to the advertisements of ponzi firms carried by the publication.
Kolkata: Attacking the opposition over its demand for a CBI probe in the chit fund muddle, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday accused the central government of inaction against the burgeoning 'ponzi' firms. "Those who are clamouring for CBI inquiry, I want to ask them why the central organisations like the SEBI and the RBI never took steps against the chit funds. These organisations are the one who gave authorisation to the chit funds," Banerjee said here.
"The centre takes away all our revenues towards repayment of the debts incurred by the previous regime. But when it comes to acting against these fraudulent companies, it prefers to keep quiet," she said. Addressing a party rally, the Trinamool Congress supremo came hard on the Communist Party of India-Marxist as well as the Congress-led central government which have been demanding probe into the multi-crore Saradha Group chit fund scam by the Central Bureau of Investigation as well as the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
Conceding that there may be a few "bad elements" in her party following allegations of some Trinamool leaders having complicity in the scam, Banerjee accused the CPI-M of deriving benefits from chit fund companies. "They are accusing us but it is them who are close to the chit fund companies," said Banerjee, showing several photos of CPI-M leaders seen with owners of chit fund companies.
She also showed the Marxist mouthpiece Ganashakti, pointing out to the advertisements of ponzi firms carried by the publication. "There are many such photos and publications which prove how close the comrades are to these chit funds. Before pointing fingers at us, they must look unto themselves," said Banerjee.
The chief minister also issued a stern warning against those who have been spreading "juicy canards" against her and her party. "I am not vindictive. Otherwise there would have been many sitting now behind bars." "I want to reassure you all. Have faith in me. I will never do any harm to the common people," added Banerjee.
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Haryana will be first state to implement 7th pay commission recommendations - Pradesh18
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18