Man injured after setting off explosion at Beijing airport
There were no other injuries and operations were normal after the blast, the airport said on its microblog.
Beijing: A man in a wheelchair detonated a home-made explosive in Beijing airport on Saturday evening, injuring himself and sending smoke billowing through the exit area of the international arrivals section of Terminal 3.
Individual Chinese unable to win redress for grievances have in the past resorted to extreme measures, including bombings, but such incidents are rare amid the tight security of airports, and the motive in this case is not yet known.
There were no other injuries and operations were normal after the blast, the airport said on its microblog, while official news agency Xinhua said the man detonated a loud explosive device, but gave no details.
State broadcaster China Central Television said the explosion took place just feet outside the door from which arriving international passengers depart after picking up their luggage. It was not clear why the man was at the airport.
An airport spokeswoman declined to speculate about the man's motive, saying airport police were still investigating. Police declined to comment. Officials said the bomber was being treated for his injuries.
A Reuters witness said things had returned to normal about 90 minutes after the explosion and there were no signs of extra security.
Explosives are relatively easy to obtain in China, home to the world's largest mining and fireworks industries.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
- Police Release Sketch of Suspects Based on School Children's Description
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18