Mandela continues to show improvement, says grandson
President Jacob Zuma said Mandela's condition 'continues to improve but his condition remains serious.'
Cape Town: Former South African president Nelson Mandela, who has been hospitalized for a week, continued to show signs of improvement, his grandson said on Saturday, reported Xinhua. "Madiba (Mandela) is recovering very well and looks good," Mandla Mandela said in Qunu, Eastern Cape Province, the native village where Mandela grew up.
Mandla was speaking at a funeral of Mandela's cousin Florence Mandela who died at the age of 97.
"I thank the nation and the world for the prayers for Madiba, and the doctors and the office of the ANC (African National Congress) for keeping the family updated," Mandla said.
On Thursday, President Jacob Zuma said Mandela's condition "continues to improve but his condition remains serious."
Zuma was speaking after visiting Mandela who was admitted to a Pretoria hospital last Saturday for a recurring lung problem which was the result of tuberculoisis developed when he was in prison under the apartheid rule.
"We continue to appeal to people to keep Madiba (Mandela) in their prayers and wish him a speedy recovery," said Zuma.
Hope is growing that Mandela will continue to make progress after Zuma said he is responding well to treatment.
Mandela, 94, has been in and out of hospital several times since last December.
Also on Saturday, well-wishers continued to visit the Mediclinic Heart Hospital, where Mandela is receiving treatment, to leave messages of support for the anti-apartheid icon.
Security remains tight at the hospital, although the media contingent is smaller than it has been in previous days.
Outside Mandela's Johannesburg home, local and international journalists were holding to their camping sites, pointing their cameras to the house, hoping to report the latest news about Mandela's condition.
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- SP Meet Turns into Family Drama, Akhilesh & Shivpal Spar In Public
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls