Manipur: Compensation, job to wife of slain photojournalist
Guwahati-based 'Prime News' Channel's photojournalist was killed on Dec 23 in police firing at a protest.
Imphal: Manipur government will give Rs 5 lakh as compensation to the wife of the photojournalist killed in police firing a week ago during a violent protests that hit Imphal, official sources said here on Sunday. The government has also decided to appoint the deceased photojournalist Thangjam Dwijamani's wife Narmada as a primary school teacher.
The decisions were taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh here Saturday evening, the sources said. Dwijamani, a photojournalist with the Guwahati-based 'Prime News' Channel, was killed on December 23 in police firing during the strike called to protest alleged molestation of a Manipuri film actress, Momoko, by Livingstone Anal, a Naga militant of the NSCN-IM.
The police opened fire to disperse supporters of the strike who had turned violent and had started pelting stones at vehicles. The strike was called by Film Forum Manipur (FFM) and some other artistes' associations to protest alleged molestation of the actress by Livingstone who also allegedly fired at two artists who tried to save Momoko during a musical concert at Chandel district on December 18.
A three-member committee headed by Principal Secretary (Home) Suresh Babu was set up to probe the firing while five police personnel have been suspended. Manipur government has requested the Centre to help nab Livingstone since NSCN-IM and the central government were on a ceasefire agreement.
- Cauvery Row: Karnataka Firm, Calls Legislature Session to Decide on SC Order
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput