Manipur assault: Curfew imposed after journalist killed
The journalist took two bullets, including one to the chest, when the police opened fire during violent protests.
Imphal: Curfew was imposed in Eastern and Western parts of Imphal till 6 am Monday following the death of a video journalist. TH Nanao was killed when police opened fire during violent protests against the alleged molestation of an actress in the city. The journalist took two bullets, including one in the chest.
The actress had alleged she was assaulted by an NSCN-IM worker while hosting a cultural event. She had said the security personnel present at the spot just stood by and watched. Violent protests erupted in the city with police bursting tear gas shell to disperse angry crowds while film and theatre artistes called for a bandh protesting against the alleged assault.
Protesters in the strike, which was called by the Manipur Film Forum, also pelted stones and vehicles and damaged a police van in Imphal. There were scenes of tyre burning and road blocking across the state's capital. Life in Manipur has been crippled with shops, markets, business and entertainment houses closed and transport services cancelled.
Recommended For You
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology