PM leaves for Germany, to seek greater business ties
Manmohan Singh said he will seek German support for early conclusion of a balanced trade and investment with the European Union.
New Delhi: Prime minister Manmohan Singh has left for Berlin on Wednesday to participate in the second round of inter-governmental consultations with Germany. The two countries are celebrating 60 years of diplomatic relations and will address possible areas of cooperation. External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and other important officials are going to be a part of the delegation on the bilateral visit.
Dr Singh will arrive in Berlin on the evening of April 10 and will be hosted for dinner by the German Chancellor, Dr Angela Merkel. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said he will seek German support for early conclusion of a balanced trade and investment with the European Union (EU).
"I will seek Chancellor Merkel's support for an early conclusion of an India-EU broad-based trade and investment agreement," the prime minister said in his departure statement here ahead of his three-day visit to Berlin.
"I will also propose that Europe keeps its doors open to Indian investors and professionals," he added. The Prime Minister is visiting Germany on the invitation of Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Manmohan Singh said he was hopeful of signing a number of agreements and memorandums of understanding (MoUs) in areas like infrastructure, manufacturing, science and technology, higher education, professional training, and clean and renewable energy.
"I intend to seek greater trade and investment ties with Germany as we continue to take steps to boost domestic investment, attract foreign investors, and spur the economy back to its long term growth potential of 8 percent," the prime minister said.
(With Additional Information From PTI)
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Love is a Feeling Beyond Your Control: Ranbir Kapoor
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension