Marathon man Fauja does it again in Dubai
The world's oldest marathon runner Fauja Singh completed an eight km run in Dubai.
Dubai: The Guinness book might have refused to record his feat, but seemingly undeterred by the stumbling block, the world's oldest marathon runner Fauja Singh completed another 8 km run in Dubai and is now eyeing the San Francisco marathon.
The 100-year-old Briton of Indian origin turned out to be a major attraction here as he ran an 8 km stretch in 50 minutes, cheered by admirers and supporters.
Singh was invited to Dubai by Sarbat Da Bhala, a Dubai based non-government organisation (NGO), and the proceeds of the event would be donated to a charity.
The run was hosted by Dubai Creek Striders and runners from the group joined to complete the loop around Dubai's Zabeel area. Fauja Singh ran around the city's landmarks alongside a group of 50 runners.
Born on April 1, 1911, Singh holds many world records for long distance running in his age bracket.
The centenarian attracted worldwide attention when he completed an eight-hour run in Toronto, but the Guinness Book of World Records could not register his feat as he could not produce a birth certificate and other age proofs were not found sufficient.
His current personal best time for the London Marathon (2003) is 6 hours 2 minutes and his marathon record, for age 90-plus, is 5 hours 40 minutes, at the age of 92, at the 2003 Toronto Waterfront Marathon.
He plans to run the 26-mile San Francisco Marathon later this month.
"I am happy to be in Dubai and I really enjoyed the run," Singh said at the end of the run.
At the age of 100 (and a half), Singh has attempted and accomplished eight world age group records in one day, at the special Ontario Masters Association Fauja Singh Invitational Meet in Toronto.
Three days later, on October 16, 2011, Singh became the first 100-year-old to complete a marathon, running the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 8:11:06.
His biography, 'Turbaned Tornado', by veteran journalist and writer Khushwant Singh, traces the runner's roots and tries to capture his life's journey.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- Bollywood Friday: Will Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni Live Up To The Expectations?
- MS Dhoni Biopic May be the Biggest Risk of Sushant Singh Rajput's Career
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18