Italian marines return to Kochi
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone came by a special flight for Kochi at 7:50 am, airport sources said.
Kerala: The two Italian marines, jailed for the deaths of two fishermen, have returned to Kerala Friday morning as directed by the High Court. They were permitted to go home to celebrate Christmas in Italy. The marines will be appearing in court on Friday.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone came by a special flight for Kochi at 7:50 am, airport sources said. They will soon leave for Kollam court to surrender their passports.
The marines were arrested on February 19 last year for shooting to death two Indian fishermen -- Ajesh Binki (25) and Jelestine (45) from on board merchant vessel 'Enrica Lexie' off Alapuzha coast, 'mistaking' them for Somali pirates. Stringent conditions had been laid down by the court, which had asked them to return by January 10.
The Kollam sessions court had asked them to be present for the trial on January 15. The Italians had also executed Rs six crore bank guarantee as directed by the Kerala High Court for allowing them to leave for two weeks.
Kerala Government had opposed the marines plea in the High Court by saying it was a ruse to "smuggle them out" and would "torpedo" the ongoing trial.
(With Inputs From PTI)
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Kapil Sibal Exclusive: Will Cong Family Loyalists Become Deserters?