Mary Kom, Rahul Dravid to get Padma Bhushan: Sources
Five-time world champion boxer Mary Kom brought laurels to the country last year when she won a bronze medal at the London Olympics.
New Delhi: Former India cricketer Rahul Dravid and London Olympics bronze medalist boxer MC Mary Kom are being considered for the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan, according to CNN-IBN sources on Friday.
Rahul Dravid retired last year after playing 164 Tests and 344 ODIs piling up more than 24,000 runs in international cricket. He won the Padma Shree award in 2004.
Five-time world champion Mary Kom brought laurels to the country last year when she fetched India a medal in women's boxing at the London Olympics. On Thursday, two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar was reported to be in contention for the prestigious honour.
"I indeed feel privileged and honoured at being recommended for this recognition. This award will be another recognition of my hard work and determination.
"I am the first Indian athlete to win two Olympic medals. We gave our everything to this sport and this award will help in raising the profile of the game. Such recognition always helps in attracting more youngsters towards the sport. I am thankful to the Sports Ministry for recommending my name. I feel happy and excited," Sushil said.
The 29-year-old, who won bronze at the Beijing Olympics and silver at the London event, was given with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2009 and the Padma Shree in 2011.
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Tamil Nadu Government Constitutes Advisory Committee Under Disaster Management
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18