Mathura clashes: 2 senior officials transferred
Two new officials have been dispatched to the troubled district with instructions that the violence must not recur.
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has transferred two senior officials in Mathura following the clashes between two communities that left four people dead, an official said.
Mathura District Magistrate (DM) Sanjay Kumar and the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Dharamveer were transferred on Sunday.
According to a government spokesperson, Alok Tiwari has been appointed as the new DM and NR Padmaja as the new SSP of Mathura.
The two officials have been dispatched to the troubled district with clear instructions that the violence must not happen again and that the culprits who sparked it should be brought to book, a home department official informed.
No violence was reported on Monday.
The violence broke out last week in the Kosi Kalan region of Mathura. While rioters went on rampage for more than eight hours, torching vehicles, business establishments and schools, firing at each other, the police failed to act on time, leading to escalation of violence.
The communal frenzy left four dead and tarred the image of the two-month-old Akhilesh Yadav government.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Lion Movie Review: A Deeply Moving, Inspiring Film
- Jackie Review: Natalie Portman Shines In The Shoes Of Jacqueline Kennedy
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology