'Matru Ki Bijlee' is a political comedy: Director
'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola' also features Imran Khan, Anushka Sharma, Shabana Azmi and Pankaj Kapur.
Mumbai: 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola' might be about the issue of land scam, but director Vishal Bhardwaj says the tone of the film is not at all serious. "The film's plot is based on the issue of land scam but I have not personalised this to any one," the 52-year-old told reporters Monday at a press conference of the film.
"It has happened in every big state. We have just added a fun element to that serious issue in the film. So, the tone of the film is not serious but issues are very serious.
"It's a satire, comedy. You can say it's a political comedy," he added.
Releasing Jan 11, 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola' also features Imran Khan, Anushka Sharma, Shabana Azmi and Pankaj Kapur.
There were reports that Ajay Devgn was Bhardwaj's first choice to play Matru in 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola,' but the filmmaker feels no one could have played the character as well as Imran has.
"Bahut accha hua, kyunki Imran se accha ye kirdaar koi kar nahin sakta tha (It's good because nobody could have played the role better than Imran)," said Bhardwaj.
"Allah miya ne mere liye Imran ko mere saamne bhej diya Matru play karne ke liye (Allah sent Imran to play Matru). Imran se accha Matru Ajay bhi nahin play kar sakta tha mere liye (Even Ajay could not have played Matru better than Imran for me)," he added.
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- Dear Zindagi First Look: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt Will Drive Your Midweek Blues Away
- SRK, Alia Bhatt Tease Fans With Dear Zindagi Tweets
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says An Emotional Shivpal
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells