'Matru Ki Bijlee' is a political comedy: Director
'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola' also features Imran Khan, Anushka Sharma, Shabana Azmi and Pankaj Kapur.
Mumbai: 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola' might be about the issue of land scam, but director Vishal Bhardwaj says the tone of the film is not at all serious. "The film's plot is based on the issue of land scam but I have not personalised this to any one," the 52-year-old told reporters Monday at a press conference of the film.
"It has happened in every big state. We have just added a fun element to that serious issue in the film. So, the tone of the film is not serious but issues are very serious.
"It's a satire, comedy. You can say it's a political comedy," he added.
Releasing Jan 11, 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola' also features Imran Khan, Anushka Sharma, Shabana Azmi and Pankaj Kapur.
There were reports that Ajay Devgn was Bhardwaj's first choice to play Matru in 'Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola,' but the filmmaker feels no one could have played the character as well as Imran has.
"Bahut accha hua, kyunki Imran se accha ye kirdaar koi kar nahin sakta tha (It's good because nobody could have played the role better than Imran)," said Bhardwaj.
"Allah miya ne mere liye Imran ko mere saamne bhej diya Matru play karne ke liye (Allah sent Imran to play Matru). Imran se accha Matru Ajay bhi nahin play kar sakta tha mere liye (Even Ajay could not have played Matru better than Imran for me)," he added.
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Fresh Picture of Lalu's Sons With Scribe-Murder Accused Surfaces
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher