Gujarat government suspends Ketan Desai
The decision comes three weeks after the arrest of the former MCI chief by the CBI on charges of corruption.
New Delhi: The Gujarat government has issued suspension orders against the former Medical Council of India (MCI) chief Ketan Desai.
Desai, heads the urology department of the prestigious B J Medical College in Gujarat.
The decision comes three weeks after the arrest of the former MCI chief by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on charges of corruption.
Sources in Gujarat government say that the cause of delay was the fact that they were awaiting the report from the CBI regarding his arrest and on the grounds that he was arrested.
The B J Medical College, which is attached to a civil hospital is the largest in Asia. The College sources tell CNN-IBN that it had received Desai's resignation on Tuesday which it had forwarded it to the state government.
As per rule, if a government official is arrested and kept under detention for a period of more than 24 hours, he or she has to be suspended.
Desai and three others are currently booked for allegedly taking Rs 2 crore bribe to recognise a private medical college in Punjab despite the lack of necessary infrastructure.
He is charged with bribery and criminal misconduct.
(With inputs from Meghdoot Sharon)
- Indian, Afghan Spy Agencies Patronising Terror: Pakistan Tells US
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Beat Malaysia 2-1 to Seal Top Spot
- Don't Invite Foreign Teams to Pakistan in Current Situation: Shoaib Akhtar
- OnePlus Diwali Dash Sale Live: Win OnePlus 3 at Re 1
- OnePlus Announces Re 1 Diwali Dash Sale: All You Need to Know
- Amazon Great Indian Festive Sale: Top 5 Deals on Smartphones
- Diwali Sale: Flipkart and Amazon in a War of Words