Militants kills 8 migrant workers in Assam
Hindi-speaking farm labourers gunned down.
Guwahati: Eight Hindi-speaking migrant workers were killed and three seriously wounded on Wednesday by separatists in Assam, the latest in a string of attacks ahead of the August 15 Independence Day celebrations.
A police spokesman said heavily armed militants late on Wednesday attacked Ampahar village in Karbi Anglong district, about 320 km east of Guwahati. "Eight Hindi-speaking people were killed and three critically wounded in the attack. The victims were from two families," Anurag Tankha, police chief of Karbi Anglong, told IANS over telephone.
The official said the attack was carried out jointly by the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF).
"The militants descended on the village and fired indiscriminately after dragging the people outside their homes," the official said.
The victims were all daily wage earners cultivating land of local tribal people in the area.
"The toll could mount as the condition of some of the injured was stated to be critical," Tankha said.
The fresh attacks on Hindi-speaking workers, all of them from Bihar who had made Assam their home for decades and doing odd jobs as brick kiln workers, fishermen, and as daily wage earners, comes after a deadly wave of killings in January.
About 60 Hindi-speakers were killed in January prompting New Delhi to launch a massive military crackdown in Assam against the ULFA.
The state has been rocked by a string of explosions, seven in all, since Sunday killing three people and wounding 25. Police have blamed all the explosions on the ULFA.
Recommended For You
- MARCHING ORDERS?MCC Recommends Red Card Suspension in Cricket, Limit To Bat Size
- Youtube rewindRajnikanth's Kabali Trailer: The Most Watched Movie Trailer on YouTube in 2016
- Fashion Awards 2016International Model Of The Year: Gigi Hadid's Best Fashion Moments Of 2016
- ExplosiveRaees Trailer: 6 Explosive Dialogues That Sum up SRK's Character Perfectly
- YouTube RewindTop 10 YouTube Videos of 2016: Kala Chashma is The Most Watched Music Video