MNS Issues Fresh Threat to Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
Anushka Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor in a still from the film ADHM
Mumbai: A day after Mumbai Police assured a smooth release of film-maker Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (ADHM) on October 28 and Joha's own offer to not work with Pakistani artistes in the future, the Raj Thackeray led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) on Wednesday issued a fresh threat to multiplexes against the screening of the film.
Amay Khopkar spokesperson for the party told CNN-News18 that they will beat up anyone who tries to stop them from protesting against the film or halt its screening.
MNS leader Shalini Thackeray too had told CNN News18 that the makers of the film will know what the MNS can do in case the film releases in Maharashtra.
On Tuesday filmmaker Director of the film Karan Johar had issued a statement through a video and vowed to avoid working with Pakistani actors till the current atmposphere in the nation improved.
"I have always felt that the best way to express your patriotism is through love. And that's what I have always tried to portray through my work and my cinema. When I shot my film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil from September to December last year, the climate was completely different. The circumstances were completely different. There were efforts made by our government for the peaceful relationship with the neighbouring country. And I respected those endeavours, those efforts then. I also respect the sentiment today. I understand the sentiment because I feel the same," Johar had said in the video.
"Going forward, I would like to say that of course, I will not engage with talent from the neighbouring country, given the circumstance. But with that same energy, I beseech you to know one thing- that over 300 people in my Indian crew have put their blood, sweat and tears into making my film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil. I don't think it's fair to them to face any kind of turbulence on account of other fellow Indians," Johar added.
Meanwhile Fox Star Studios - the distributors of Ae Dil Hai Mushkil - has also come out in support of Karan Johar.
"We unequivocally condemn the terror attacks on India and support the government of India in all its effort to bring safety and peace for Indians. Karan Johar is a proud, emotional and patriotic Indian, like all of us and his nationalism cannot be questioned," Fox Star studios said.
Film-maker Mukesh Bhatt too had on Tuesday urged the MNS not to spoil Diwali for the many technicians who worked behind the scenes to make the film a reality.
Bhatt had even met the Mumbai Police Commissioner and got an assurance for a smooth release of the film.
In a press meet in the evening, Bhatt told the media that Pakistani actor Fawad Khan has just a four-minute appearance in Karan Johar's Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (ADHM) and requested the MNS to support the movie and protect a product made by Indians.
"This film has 150 technicians, only one Pakistani actor who has a four-minute scene. We have put in our money. It is a request to MNS, an appeal on the behalf of the whole film industry that we, all brothers, should come together and protect the investment made by Indians. Why should we spoil Diwali?" he told reporters here.
The filmmaker, who is the President of Film and Television Producers Guild of India (Guild), added
people should understand Johar's situation as well.
The Raj Thackeray-led MNS on Tuesday said it would intensify its opposition to Johar's film as it features a Pakistani actor and issued a veiled threat of vandalism to the multiplexes if they screened it.
"MNS can say whatever it wants to say. We are extending a hand of friendship, we have to accept peace. The filmmaker is helpless, he is caught. We should understand his pain," Bhatt said.
Guild has said films like Ae Dil Hai Mushkil and Raees, featuring Pakistani artistes, should not be targeted as doing so will cause heavy losses to their producers. Bhatt added that the police are with them and the film will release worldwide on October 28.
"We are just requesting the theatre owners. We can't reverse the film ('Ae Dil...') which has been made. It should be allowed to release. In the future, we will obey the Government's decision.
"If there is some damage to the property by MNS, then there is property insurance. I am confident that 95 per cent screens will support us," he said.
Cinema owners have announced they won't allow the screening of the movies with Pakistani artistes. Asked about his take on filmmaker Anurag Kashyap's tweet about Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Lahore visit
last year,Bhatt said, "We can't bother the PM with these things. He has bigger issues to deal with. We should tackle this within us."
The 64-year-old filmmaker maintained that the film industry should also not be targeted. "Don't penalise us for no fault of ours. Media is a responsible factor today. Please spread peace and harmony. If we will fight it will be a win for terrorists," he said.
(With inputs from PTI)
Recommended For You
- Dhoni Motivates Jharkhand Teammates in Unique Style
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest