'Monsoon Wedding', the musical, adapted for stage
Nair is working with director-composer Vishal Bhardwaj and scriptwriter Sabrina Dhawan.
New Delhi: After completing an "exhausting shoot" of her much anticipated movie 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist', filmmaker Mira Nair has started working on her next project, a musical adaptation of her movie 'Monsoon Wedding'.
The Indian born director is adapting the 2001 superhit movie into a stage play and she is working with director-composer Vishal Bhardwaj and scriptwriter Sabrina Dhawan for it. "'Monsoon Wedding' adaptation is a big thing for me. The movie was loved by many. I am working with Vishal and its my version just like it was in the movie. The stage is going to be spectacular. It will have 12 songs of which six have been recorded, four more we will record next month. By April we will start shooting," Nair told PTI.
'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' was screened at the 43rd International Film Festival of India and Nair says it always feels good to bring her movie home. "We have opened the movie at all the major festivals - Toronto, London, Venice - but I can't live without bringing it home. It was really important for me to come here and I am very happy and waiting for people to see the film," she added.
The film is based on the novel by Mohsin Hamid and stars Riz Ahmed, Kate Hudson, Liev Schreiber, Kiefer Sutherland, Om Puri and Shabana Azmi. It will hit theatres in India in April. Nair says the movie is an effort to show the other side of the story post 9/11 which nobody knows.
"What you read about Pakistan in the newspapers the drones, the be-headings, assassinations, may be that is true but the heart beat is never there. I was moved to make that story and then when I read Mohsin's book six months later, I craved to make that dialogue between America. I know these both worlds and we have never heard our side of the story but only America's."
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Donald Trump Says He Will Win General Elections
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers