Montanes beats Monfils to win title at Nice Open
Montanes clinched his sixth title by defeating French wild-card entry Gael Monfils 6-0, 7-6 (3) in the final of the Nice Open.
Nice: Albert Montanes of Spain clinched his sixth title by defeating French wild-card entry Gael Monfils 6-0, 7-6 (3) in the final of the Nice Open on Saturday.
The match was interrupted by rain at 4-0 in the first set, but that didn't seem to bother Montanes, who broke for a 3-1 lead in the second and looked set to cruise to victory. But Monfils, a former top-10 player whose 2012 season was hampered by a right knee injury, rallied to tie it at 4-4.
Montanes took a 4-1 lead in the tiebreaker and sealed the win when a backhand from Monfils sailed long. The Nice Open is a warm-up tournament for the French Open.
Recommended For You
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Extended Wheelbase Launched at Rs 56.15 Lakh
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Brie Larson Refused to Applaud for Casey Affleck As She Gave The Oscar
- Watch: How VJ Bani Debunks Stereotypes With Her Heavy Weight Training
- Big Boy Rahkeem Cornwall Welcomes England to Caribbean Islands