Moscow unveils 2013 World Athletics mascot
An anthropomorphic sparrow will serve as the mascot for the 2013 World Athletics Championships in Moscow.
Moscow: An anthropomorphic sparrow will serve as the mascot for the 2013 World Athletics Championships in Moscow, organisers announced on Wednesday. The cartoon bird has brown, black and white plumage and wears a blue t-shirt bearing the Moscow 2013 insignia.
"A sparrow was chosen as the mascot. The bird shares a lot of qualities with the athletes: It's quick, light and nimble. There were lots of possibilities, but we settled on the sparrow, because we want the sparrow to be associated with Moscow and with athletics," said the general secretary of the Russian athletics federation, Mikhail Butov.
It was chosen from more than 200 designs submitted by the public over the internet. Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium plays host to the championships from August 10-18, 2013.
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster May be Good for Tata Steel's UK Operations, Says Media
- New Zealand PM Arrives, Modi Likely to Seek Support on NSG Entry During Meet Tomorrow
- PM Modi Warns of Action Against Those Who 'Snatch' Tribal Rights
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Celebrities Send Diwali Greetings To Jawans Following PM Modi's #Sandesh2Soldiers Campaign