Moscow unveils 2013 World Athletics mascot
An anthropomorphic sparrow will serve as the mascot for the 2013 World Athletics Championships in Moscow.
Moscow: An anthropomorphic sparrow will serve as the mascot for the 2013 World Athletics Championships in Moscow, organisers announced on Wednesday. The cartoon bird has brown, black and white plumage and wears a blue t-shirt bearing the Moscow 2013 insignia.
"A sparrow was chosen as the mascot. The bird shares a lot of qualities with the athletes: It's quick, light and nimble. There were lots of possibilities, but we settled on the sparrow, because we want the sparrow to be associated with Moscow and with athletics," said the general secretary of the Russian athletics federation, Mikhail Butov.
It was chosen from more than 200 designs submitted by the public over the internet. Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium plays host to the championships from August 10-18, 2013.
- Time For Pakistan To Learn Some Lessons: Subramanian Swamy
- India Has Sent Right Signal To Pakistan And World, Says Shashi Tharoor on Surgical Strike
- Uri Avenged: What Does a Surgical Strike Involve?
- Watch: How The Surgical Strikes Were Carried Out
- StarGaze: Akshay Kumar celebrates World Heart Day and more
- Living it Up: How to beat heart diseases
- World Heart Day: 5 ways to keep your heart healthy
- More young women falling prey to heart diseases: study