Can't give Mother Teresa's remains: Govt to Albania
Missionaries of Charity (MoC) says it is yet to receive request.
Kolkata: The Missionaries of Charity (MoC) has said that it has not received any request from any quarter for transfer of Mother Teresa's mortal remains to Albania, the country of her origin.
"Unless we receive any specific request from any quarter in this regard, we cannot comment," Salesian priest Father Robin Gomes, who ministers to the nuns in the Auxiliam parish said.
He said the MoC, headquarters of Mother's global order, would not probably agree to any request for transfer of her remains outside of her tomb which is situated in a room on the ground floor of the Mother House.
"It will not be fair to remove her remains from there," Father Gomes said.
The comments came in the wake of reports that Albania will intensify negotiations with India over the issue.
Albanian Prime Minister Sali Berisha's government on Friday said that Albania wants the mortal remains of the Roman Catholic nun to be returned to the country.
According to Father Gomes, although the Nobel laureate is an Albanian, her order comprises priests and nuns from almost all countries and hence the request is not tenable.
He also observed that since Mother was an Indian citizen, the central government would not agree to the request for transfer outside of the country.
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment
- 2nd Test: Fit-Again Younis Khan Leads Pakistan's Charge Against WI
- BSF Says 7 Pakistani Rangers, Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border, Pak Denies
- Salahuddin Seeks Help From Pak Military Pak Over Kashmir
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das
- Amit Sadh Begins Shooting For Sarkar 3
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18