Motorola Atrix had a fingerprint scanner two years before iPhone 5s
One of the highlights of the new Apple iPhone 5s smartphone is the fingerprint scanner that Apple calls Touch ID.
New Delhi: One of the highlights of the new Apple iPhone 5s smartphone is the fingerprint scanner that Apple calls Touch ID and technology enthusiasts would already be aware that the iPhone 5s isn't the first phone to have such a feature.
In 2011, the Motorola Atrix was the first phone to come with a fingerprint scanner. At the time the Motorola Atrix was marketed as the world's most powerful smartphone packed full of tech wizardry "any aspiring spy can be proud of". It was the first smartphone to operate with fingerprint recognition to ensure it can only be activated by the genuine owner.
On the Atrix the owner swiped his finger on the touchscreen a number of times when the smartphone was fresh out of the box for it to identify him as the authorised user. From that point on, every time he touched the power button it will recognise the fingerprint and approve the operation.
The Touch ID in the iPhone 5s reads fingerprints at a "detailed level" and Apple says it will be "fun and easy" to teach the 5s about your fingerprint and once you do, you can just touch the home button to unlock the phone. The company said fingerprints will not be stored on its servers. Tying the fingerprint scanner to payments could also open new revenue channels for Apple.
- Cycle to Motorcycle? How Ram Gopal Yadav's Trip to EC Created a Stir
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- Trump Gains on Clinton, Poll Shows 'Rigged' Message Resonates
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
- Salman Khan Dropped as Thums Up Ambassador by Coca Cola