Motorola unveils $179 Moto G budget smartphone; India launch in Jan 2014
Motorola says the Moto G offers features found in high-end smartphones, but at a third of the price.
New York: Motorola is making a cheaper smartphone aimed at emerging markets and budget-conscious consumers. The company, which is owned by Google, says the new Moto G phone runs recent Android software and has processors, screens and other components approaching what's found in many high-end phones. But it's just a third of the price.
IBNLive had previously reported the likelihood of the Moto G's availability in India and Motrola has confirmed that the Moto G is indeed officially coming to India in January 2014. Though no prices for the Indian market has been announced yet.
The phone starts at $179 in the US without a contract requirement. Contract-free prices for leading phones in the US typically exceed $600. The starting price is for a phone with 8 gigabytes of storage. Most phones have at least 16 gigabytes. Moto G costs $199 for a 16-gigabyte version.
Moto G will have a removable back to allow for customisation. Motorola's flagship Moto X also allows customization, but it must be ordered in advance and can't be changed.
Motorola Moto G specifications
- 4.5-inch HD display; 1280 x 720 HD, 329 ppi
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor with 1.2 GHz quad-core CPU
- Android 4.3 Jellybean with a guaranteed upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat at the beginning of 2014
- 8 GB standard; 16 GB version available; Two years 50 GB storage free on Google Drive
- Height 129.9 mm; Width 65.9 mm; Depth 6.0-11.6 mm (curve); Weight 143 grams
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion, 2070 mAh
- Rear camera: 5 MP at 4:3 and 3.8 MP at 16:9 (user-configurable); LED flash; 4X digital zoom
- Front camera: 1.3 MP
- Curved back and 19 customisation options, including interchangeable Motorola Shells and Flip Shells in seven colours as well as Grip Shells in five colours.
With inputs from AP
From Our Network
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18