Supreme Court to hear Mullaperiyar dam row today
The SC is hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu against a law passed by Kerala in 2006 restricting the water level in the dam to 136 ft.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will begin hearing final arguments in the contentious Mullaperiyar dam row between Kerala and Tamil Nadu on Tuesday. There has been tension between the two states over the safety of the dam which is 120 years old.
The SC is hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu against a law passed by Kerala in 2006 restricting the water level in the dam to 136 ft. However, the apex court had permitted Tamil Nadu to raise the water level up to 142 ft.
The Tamil Nadu government is managing the dam ever since its inception. Kerala had in 2010 had advocated dismantling of the dam, holding that its structure was not safe, while Tamil Nadu opposed it.
Recommended For You
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Kangana, Shahid Promote Rangoon on TKSS: 5 Laugh Out Loud Moments
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"