Supreme Court to hear Mullaperiyar dam row today
The SC is hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu against a law passed by Kerala in 2006 restricting the water level in the dam to 136 ft.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will begin hearing final arguments in the contentious Mullaperiyar dam row between Kerala and Tamil Nadu on Tuesday. There has been tension between the two states over the safety of the dam which is 120 years old.
The SC is hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu against a law passed by Kerala in 2006 restricting the water level in the dam to 136 ft. However, the apex court had permitted Tamil Nadu to raise the water level up to 142 ft.
The Tamil Nadu government is managing the dam ever since its inception. Kerala had in 2010 had advocated dismantling of the dam, holding that its structure was not safe, while Tamil Nadu opposed it.
- Pakistan Postpones SAARC Summit After Five Member Countries Pull Out
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- 1st ODI: Azam, Nawaz Star as Pakistan Thrash West Indies
- US Lawmakers Support India's Counter-Terror Operations in PoK
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- Sharad Pawar's Views on ATS Opportunistic, Based on Wrong Briefing: Fadnavis
- Man Kills Friend Suspecting Affair With Wife in Bhubaneswar