Supreme Court to hear Mullaperiyar dam row today
The SC is hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu against a law passed by Kerala in 2006 restricting the water level in the dam to 136 ft.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will begin hearing final arguments in the contentious Mullaperiyar dam row between Kerala and Tamil Nadu on Tuesday. There has been tension between the two states over the safety of the dam which is 120 years old.
The SC is hearing a case filed by Tamil Nadu against a law passed by Kerala in 2006 restricting the water level in the dam to 136 ft. However, the apex court had permitted Tamil Nadu to raise the water level up to 142 ft.
The Tamil Nadu government is managing the dam ever since its inception. Kerala had in 2010 had advocated dismantling of the dam, holding that its structure was not safe, while Tamil Nadu opposed it.
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Salman Khan's Recent Photo With Nephew Ahil is Just Too Heart-warming
- No One Needs to Give Proof of Their Patriotism, Says CBFC Chief Pahlaj Nihalani
- Barack Obama Trolls Donald Trump Over 'Mean Tweet' on Late Night TV
- Indian-American Governors Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley Insulted by Trump
- Despite Bleak Electoral Map, Donald Trump Says, 'We Are Winning'
- Trump Calls Clinton 'Nasty Woman'; Voters Rally Behind her