Mullaperiyar: Rs 50 cr earmarked for new dam
Presenting the budget for the year 2012-2013, Finance Minister KM Mani termed the dam safety issue as volatile and very serious.
Thiruvanathapuram: Reiterating its commitment to build a new dam at Mullaperiyar in place of the existing 116 year-old structure there, Kerala budget on Monday set apart Rs 50 crore for initial expense for the construction.
Presenting the budget for the year 2012-2013, Finance Minister KM Mani termed the dam safety issue as "volatile" and "very serious."
He said the new dam is planned to be built 1300 ft beneath the existing dam in keeping with the state's policy of "water for Tamil Nadu and safety for Kerala".
The existing dam posed a threat to the life and assets of lakhs of people living downstream in five districts in the state, he said.
But Tamil Nadu, which gets water from the dam to irrigate five districts, is opposed to Kerala's stand, holding that it is strong as the state has taken up periodical maintenance.
The dispute is now before the Supreme Court, which has appointed an Empowered Committee to examine the safety and other aspects of the present dam.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone