Mumbai: Bus conductor who molested girl booked for rape
Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said they will remove the rape charge against the accused with court's permission.
Mumbai: A four-year-old girl was allegedly molested by the conductor of her school bus in Mumbai but, in an apparent goof up, a case of rape was registered against him, a senior police officer said on Saturday. Bus conductor Ramesh Rajput (35) allegedly molested the girl in suburban Juhu on Tuesday afternoon when children were being dropped back home, city Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said.
Being the last to be dropped home, the KG student was the lone child in the school bus when she was sexually abused by the conductor in the presence of a woman attendant, who confronted him for the indecent act, police said. The case came to light on Wednesday when the victim informed her father about the incident and he reported the matter to the school authorities immediately.
"There was no rape or attempt to rape. We are rectifying our mistake," Singh said. "Section 376 IPC (rape) was applied in this case by mistake and we are contemplating to remove it with the permission of the court," Mumbai Police spokesperson Ambadas Pote said.
A case was registered against Rajput after medical check up of the victim. The accused was arrested and charged with rape and molestation under Protection of Children from Sexual offences Act. The bus driver's statement has also been recorded, police said.
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Nitish Kumar congratulates PM Modi, Indian Army for surgical strike across LoC - Pradesh18