Maharashtra: Incessant rains kill two, wreak havoc in Mumbai
The IMD has forecast more heavy to very heavy rains in the coastal Konkan region and other parts of the state over the next 48 hours.
Mumbai: Incessant rains, lashing many parts of Maharashtra on Sunday, brought life in Mumbai to a complete standstill and led to the death two people in the state. Mumbai, Pune and Satara witnessed heavy downpour while local trains in Mumbai were delayed by 45 minutes.
Electricity supply to Pimpri-Chinchwad railway stations has also been suspended due to a tree fall. Residents of Hindmata, Versova and Sion in Mumbai witnessed 10-12 mm rainfall that choked drains and potholes on the roads.
Monsoon has got off to a great start in entire Maharashtra this year. Most parts of the state have received good rainfall in the early days of the 16-week-long monsoon season this year which got underway in the past 10 days.
According to the data provided by India Meteorological Department (IMD) at Pune, a small coastal tourist resort town of Murud, famous for the Janjira sea fort, notched a staggering 24 cm rain in the past 24 hours, making it the heaviest rainfall in the state.
Other places which received heavy rains included Palghar (16 cm), Mhalsa (15cm), Pen (14), Kinwat (12), Harnai (11), Thane, Roha and Panvel (10 each), Uran, Shrivardhan, Dapoli (9 cm each), Jalna, Matheran (8 each). Aurangabad has notched 9.18 cm, Jalna (9.24), Parbhani (6.35), Hingoli (12.8), Nanded (12.10), Beed (6.29) and Osmanabad (5.20) rainfall in the past 24 hours.
The heavy downpour has resulted in several small and medium dams and water reservoirs getting overfull. The flood waters were released from such reservoirs in Jalna and Ratnagiri. The IMD has forecast more heavy to very heavy rains in the coastal Konkan region and other parts of the state over the next 48 hours.
In the coastal areas, fishermen have been advised not to venture out into the Arabian Sea on account of choppy waters accompanied by gusty winds of up to 50 kmph.
(With Additional Inputs From IANS)
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 8: Celebrities Get Malik Status, Indiawale Fight Among Themselves
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'