Muted Chhatth celebrations in mournful Mumbai
Chhatth festival organisers have cancelled all cultural events and ceremonies in an apparent show of solidarity with the Shiv Sena.
Mumbai: The organisers of Chhatth festival in Mumbai have reportedly cancelled all cultural events and ceremonies scheduled on the occasion, a festival which is celebrated by Biharis, in an apparent show of solidarity with the Shiv Sena. The party has been in news often for its targeting of Biharis in Mumbai.
Earlier in the day, the party demanded that a memorial to the late Shiv Sena chief be erected at his cremation venue, Shivaji Park, and be placed next to that of Chhattrapati Shivaji's in the ground.
"We want his memorial to be built here (Shivaji Park). Why won't the government permit it?" asked Manohar Joshi, former Maharashtra CM and Shiv Sena leader. He added that the party wanted his memorial next to "Chhattrapati Shivaji's memorial".
Meanwhile, markets and offices have opened on Monday. Taxis, buses and autos are also back on the roads after Shiv Sena rejected pleas and calls for a bandh. The famous Zaveri Bazar has, however, decided to remain shut.
The Shiv Sena supremo's ashes will be circulated amongst all of its district heads, after which the ashes will be immerse in holy rivers on November 23.
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- Samsung Galaxy On8 with Android M, 3GB RAM Launched at Rs 15,900
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
From Our Network
- What ails Amma? Medical all-clear fails to end guessing job over Jayalalithaa's health- FirstPost
- JD(U) leader Sanjay Jha comes out in Arun Jaitley's defense, rules out his involvement in DDCA scam - Pradesh18
- Dadri lynching: Police find no evidence of cow slaughter by Akhlaq family, to file closure report - Pradesh18