DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Muslim organisations demand ban on 'Vishwaroopam'
The organisations stated that 'Vishwaroopam's screening might affect the social harmony of the state in general.
Chennai: Various Muslim organisations today demanded a ban on the screening of Kamal Haasan's 'Vishwaroopam', saying "it will affect social harmony" of the state.
M H Jawahirullah, MLA and President, Tamil Nadu Muslim Munnetra Kazhagam, said representatives of various Muslim organisations met the City Police Commissioner S George today demanding that the screening of the movie be banned.
"The screening of the movie will affect social harmony in the state. We plan to meet the Home Secretary, besides moving the Censor Board," he said.
Jawahirullah replied in the affirmative when asked if they planned to move the court if required.
Muslim organisations had earlier demanded that the film be screened to them prior to its release, expressing concern over the depiction of the community in the movie.
He said Haasan had organised a special screening of the movie for them following their demand. The thespian had already courted controversy after taking a U-turn on his decision to release the movie on Direct to Home(DTH) platform with theatre owners red flagging his decision.
The film's release was also subsequently postponed and is now slated for a January 25 release in 500 screens in the state.
Recommended For You
- Big B Celebrates 40 Years of Amar Akbar Anthony with an Adorable Photo
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Bangladesh vs Pakistan, Champions Trophy Warm-up, Live From Birmingham
- Sehwag Blames Wife for Missing Sachin's Movie Premiere With Hilarious Tweet