Muslim organisations demand ban on 'Vishwaroopam'
The organisations stated that 'Vishwaroopam's screening might affect the social harmony of the state in general.
Chennai: Various Muslim organisations today demanded a ban on the screening of Kamal Haasan's 'Vishwaroopam', saying "it will affect social harmony" of the state.
M H Jawahirullah, MLA and President, Tamil Nadu Muslim Munnetra Kazhagam, said representatives of various Muslim organisations met the City Police Commissioner S George today demanding that the screening of the movie be banned.
"The screening of the movie will affect social harmony in the state. We plan to meet the Home Secretary, besides moving the Censor Board," he said.
Jawahirullah replied in the affirmative when asked if they planned to move the court if required.
Muslim organisations had earlier demanded that the film be screened to them prior to its release, expressing concern over the depiction of the community in the movie.
He said Haasan had organised a special screening of the movie for them following their demand. The thespian had already courted controversy after taking a U-turn on his decision to release the movie on Direct to Home(DTH) platform with theatre owners red flagging his decision.
The film's release was also subsequently postponed and is now slated for a January 25 release in 500 screens in the state.
Recommended For You
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Karisma Kapoor, Sandeep Toshniwal Join Kareena-Saif, Sara, Ranbir for a Gala Night
- IPL 2017: Mitchell Starc Ends Association With Virat Kohli and Co.
- Jaguar XE, XF and F-Pace Owners Can Soon Pay for Fuel Through Their Infotainment System
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)