Muzaffarnagar riots: Absconding BSP MLA Maulana Jameel arrested, sent to jail
<p>After evading police for over a month, BSP MLA Maulana Jameel was arrested on Wednesday on the outskirts of the city for his alleged involvement in Muzaffarnagar riots.</p>
After evading police for over a month, BSP MLA Maulana Jameel was arrested on Wednesday on the outskirts of the city for his alleged involvement in Muzaffarnagar riots.
The legislator, against whom non-bailable warrant was issued over a month ago, was produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate in the evening which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody. Jameel, an MLA from Meerapur constituency of Muzaffarnagar, is among several politicians booked for inciting communal violence in the district last month. He is also the third BSP leader to be booked in the case after his party MLA Noor Salim and MP Qadir Rana.
A court in Muzaffarnagar had on September 18 issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 16 politicians and community leaders including BJP MLAs Sangit Som and Bhartendu Singh, BSP MP Rana, BSP MLAs Saleem and Jameel, Congress leader Saeeduzaman and BKU chief Naresh Tikait. At least 49 people were killed in the violence and thousands were displaced.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India