NADA to carry out dope test on Vijender Singh
Vijender allegedly consumed heroin 12 times from December 2012 to February 2013 while his colleague Ram Singh took it five times.
New Delhi: The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports Monday asked the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) to carry out a test on Beijing Olympics bronze medallist boxer Vijender Singh for the reported use of the recreational drug heroin.
In a communication sent to the director general of NADA, the ministry said reports have appeared in the media regarding alleged consumption of heroin by the pugilist.
"Such reports in respect of a sporting icon are disturbing and may have a debilitating influence on other sportspersons in the country. It has, therefore, been considered necessary that NADA gets a test carried out on Shri Vijender Singh for his reported use of heroin even out-of-competition. The communication has asked NADA to carry out the test immediately under intimation to the Ministry," said a statement from the ministry.
Vijender allegedly consumed heroin 12 times from December 2012 to February 2013 while his colleague Ram Singh took it five times, Punjab Police said Sunday.
About Vijender, a police spokesman said: "In investigation, it has been established that boxers Ram Singh and Vijender Singh took heroin from (arrested Canada-based drug dealer) Anoop Singh Kahlon and Rocky for personal consumption between December 2012 and February 2013. As per investigation conducted so far, Vijender Singh consumed the drug about 12 times and Ram Singh about five times."
- Barack Obama Trolls Donald Trump Over 'Mean Tweet' on Late Night TV
- Indian-American Governors Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley Insulted by Trump
- Despite Bleak Electoral Map, Donald Trump Says, 'We Are Winning'
- Trump Calls Clinton 'Nasty Woman'; Voters Rally Behind her
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Army Officials Reject Raj Thackeray's Welfare Fund Proposal
- Where is Mahendra Singh Dhoni the 'Finisher'?