WB: Villagers denied permission for puja, clash with police
Villagers had blocked roads in protest after being denied permission to hold Jagadhatri puja.
Kolkata: At least one person has died in clashes between the police and villages in Tehatta in the Nadia district. Villagers had blocked roads in protest after being denied permission to hold Jagadhatri puja.
There was heavy security in place with the police resorting to a lathicharge and firing. The Chief Secretary has called a high-level meeting with key bureaucrats and state police chiefs in Kolkata.
Reports say at least three police vans were torched during the clash.
Recommended For You
- Indian Spinners Lacked Patience in the Second Innings: Maninder Singh
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- Oscars 2017: Why Dev Patel Deserves to Win for Lion
- Oscars 2017: 20 Lesser Known Facts About the Most Prestigious Film Awards
- Steve Smith Reaches Career-High Rating After Pune Test