Naomi Campbell: No elephant polo match for boyfriend
Campbell was willing to hold the match at the Chami Polo Ground in Jodhpur for her boyfriend Vladimir Doronin.
Jodhpur: The birthday bash of British supermodel Naomi Campbell's billionaire boyfriend here will not witness the elephant polo match tomorrow as it was dropped from the programme list following opposition from animal rights activists. The objection raised by People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to one of the major attractions of the lavish affair led to the cancellation of the match, sources said.
Campbell was willing to hold the match at the Chami Polo Ground here for her Russian boyfriend Vladimir Doronin and had sent invitations to guests that included several A-listers.
According to PETA, the permission for the match was not taken by Campbell from the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI). Also the elephants are registered under Rule 3 of the Performing Animals (Registration) Rules 2001 under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960, which prohibits exhibition or
training of an animal as a performing animal.
After PETA's intervention, the AWBI also wrote to the chief secretary of Rajasthan and the district collector of Jodhpur to ensure that the match, if being organised as a part of the event in Jodhpur, was not in violation of the act. Invoking the act and taking cognisance of the letter, collector Gaurav Goyal asked Campbell not to go ahead with the event in violation of the Act.
"Earlier the organisers had claimed they have got relevant permission for this but later they said they were not going ahead with the event," he said.
Elephant polo matches are, however, not new to Jodhpur as they used to feature in many parties and wedding functions held under the royal settings of the Mehrangarh Fort and Umaid Palace.
One such event was organised last week during a wedding here. For this, the permission is granted by Jodhpur Polo and Equestrian Society, which further makes arrangements for the match as the elephants are to be arranged from Jaipur.
But secretary of the society, Col Umaid Singh expressed ignorance about any match arranged by Campbell or AWBI rules.
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Modi combining best of Gandhi, Nehru to bring '3rd revolution' in India: Shimon Peres
- Israel will respond with "full force" if Syria attacks, says Peres
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18