Nasheed has done a Julian Assange, tweets WikiLeaks
Mohamed Nasheed took refuge at the Indian High Commission in Male on Tuesday after a court ordered his arrest.
London: Maldives opposition leader Mohamed Nasheed has "done a Julian Assange", said WikiLeaks on Twitter after the former president took refuge at the Indian High Commission in Male.
"Former President Nasheed of the Maldives has 'done a Julian Assange' and taken shelter inside the Indian High Commission in the Maldives," tweeted WikiLeaks.
Julian Assange sought refuge in Ecuador's embassy in London in June 2012 in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces rape allegations.
Assange, who founded the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks, fears that if he goes to Sweden to be questioned over rape allegations, Swedish authorities will allow him to be extradited to the US. WikiLeaks has published thousands of US diplomatic cables on its website.
Mohamed Nasheed, who was forced to step down as the Maldives president in 2012, took refuge at the Indian High Commission in Male on Tuesday after a court issued an arrest order for his failing to attend a hearing in the illegal detention of a judge.
Recommended For You
- India A vs Australia: Shreyas Iyer Slams 202* As Match Ends in Draw
- Karisma Kapoor, Sandeep Toshniwal Join Kareena-Saif, Sara, Ranbir for a Gala Night
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Female)
- IPL 2017: Mitchell Starc Ends Association With Virat Kohli and Co.
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)