Nashik: In-laws arrested for stomping on pregnant woman's stomach
The 20-year-old woman was allegedly being tortured to bring a dowry of Rs 1.5 lakh for building a house by her in-laws.
Nashik: In-laws of a 20-year-old pregnant woman in Nashik have been charged with murdering an unborn girl child after they allegedly stomped on her stomach and beat her, killing the two-month-old foetus, the police said on Tuesday. The incident took place in the Mhasrul locality where victim Suvarna Gaikwad was being harassed mentally and physically for dowry since her marriage to Khanderao Gaikwad in June 2012, they said.
The young woman was allegedly being tortured to bring a dowry of Rs 1.5 lakh for building a house. Later, when her in-laws came to know that she was pregnant, they took her to a 'godman' Shyambaba Shinde at Niphad, who told them that she was carrying a girl, the police said.
Suvarna was told to abort the girl child but when she refused to do so, she was allegedly roughed up by her husband, and family, including the mother-in-law killing the foetus on April 4.
The matter was brought to light by Mahendra Datrange, President of Nashik unit of Blindfaith Eradicating organisation following which the husband, his brother Vijay Gaikwad, maternal father-in-law Dilip Suryavanshi and one of his kins Jalinder Suryavanshi was arrested on Monday, the police added.
Offences have been registered against them under different sections of IPC at panchavati police station on Monday, police said. Suvarna's family, which alleged murder of the girl, is demanding the arrest of her mother-in-law Bibabai, Shinde and others involved in the killing.
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- Sushma Swaraj To Pakistan: Stop Dreaming About Kashmir
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Amitabh Bachchan Feels It's Pitiable For a Woman To Catch Culprit But Not Take Action