Navy officers approach HC to quash proceedings
The High Court had criticised police last week for 'protecting' the higher officials in the Navy in the case.
Kochi: At least three Naval officers on Friday approached the Kerala High Court seeking to quash proceedings against them in the complaint filed by the estranged wife of a naval officer who levelled charges of sexual harassment against her husband and his superior officers. In the petition, the officers also sought records leading up to the police FIR and to quash it and further proceedings against them.
The complainant has refused to come before the Board of Inquiry despite Magistrate's notice, it was pointed out. The petitioners also pointed that there were inconsistencies in the locations and time of various incidents which she had mentioned.
Filing of complaint by the woman against senior officers who are innocent is utterly malafide and intended to bring a bad name to the entire navy, it was submitted. The High Court had criticised police last week for 'protecting' the higher officials in the Navy in the case while dismissing the anticipatory bail application filed by Lt Ravi Kiran, whose wife had filed the complaint.
Justice Kemal Pasha observed that it was a 'serious matter' to be dealt with severely by police and a thorough investigation has to be carried out. Navy had already started an internal probe based on the complaint she submitted to the Navy Chief recently.
On a complaint from the woman that she had allegedly been tortured for dowry and senior colleagues of her husband had tried to molest her, police here had registered a case against 10 people, including her husband, under IPC section 498. The charges of torture related to dowry issues were against her husband and his close relatives.
The Navy had denied her charges and said the complaint was the result of "a marital discord" and the allegations raised by the woman against "superior officers" were "unfair."
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Watch: From Friend-turned-foes to Friends Again, The Saga of Mulayam and Amar Singh
- News360: Will Focus on Poll Campaign, Akhilesh Yadav Tells CNN-News18
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Akhilesh Yadav Downplays Samajwadi Party Feud, To Focus on Polls