NCW writes to UP govt, raises questions over law and order
Mamata Sharma criticised the "deteriorating" law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh and asked the government to take some immediate action.
Varanasi: Chairman of National Commission for Women Mamata Sharma criticised the "deteriorating" law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh and asked the government to take some immediate action.
"I have written a letter in this regard to the UP government, but I have got no response from them," she told reporters in Varanasi on Saturday.
Incidents of rape, eve-teasing and domestic violence are prominent in the state. If police work effectively, the rate of such crimes can be brought down, she said. Unhappy over lack of protection to women in villages, she said women residing in cities and towns still have protection available but those living in villages lack it.
While appreciating the better sex ratio in Jaunpur and Azamgarh, which stands at 1014 females per thousand males, she said it is a positive sign.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Premier League Champions Leicester City Sack Manager Claudio Ranieri
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1