Need Policies to Ensure Farmers Get Better Prices: Panagariya
NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Arvind Panagariya on Saturday said there is a need to formulate proper policies to ensure farmers get better prices for produce and asserted that there is no question of taxing their income.
File photo of NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Arvind Panagariya.
Hyderabad: NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Arvind Panagariya on Saturday said there is a need to formulate proper policies to ensure farmers get better prices for produce and asserted that there is no question of taxing their income.
"It must be done in such a way that farmers get fair price. Those are the policies we need to change so that farmers get fair share of the price," he said. The vice-chairman of the premier government think-tank, which is headed by the prime minister, was speaking at an event organised by the Swarna Bharat Trust here.
Panagariya said Prime Minister Narendra Modi has committed to doubling farm income by 2022 and the government is bringing in reforms on the technology front and pricing towards that direction.
Asked about the recent remarks made by a NITI Aayog member on taxing farm income, he said there is no question of such a measure as a large population in rural parts is dependent on agriculture for subsistence.
"If you look at the poverty in India, 80 percent of the poor, no matter how you measure it, in rural areas are largely dependent on farming. So, where is the question of taxing farmers?" he asked.
Recommended For You
- Never Mind His Political Agenda, Here Is Rajinikanth's Next Film
- Welcome To New York Review: Save Your Precious 2 Hours By Avoiding This Painfully Unfunny Film
- Udaipur Music Festival: Music, As Explained By The Artistes From Across The Globe
- Rolls-Royce Phantom 8th-Generation Launched at Rs 9.50 Crore in India
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra Ups the Glamour Quotient with an Interesting Take on Fashion; See Pics