'Need to change mindset to ensure respect for women'
The President said there is urgent need to strengthen the delivery systems of government programmes.
New Delhi: There was a need to bring about changes in the mindset of society to ensure that women are given dignity and respect, President Pranab Mukherjee said here on February 11. In his inaugural address during 44th conference of Governors at Rashtrapati Bhavan, the President urged them to work towards improving the security and welfare of women.
"There is a pressing need to bring about a change in the mindset of the society so that women are treated with dignity and respect," the President said. Mukherjee noted that they were meeting in the shadow of the unfortunate incident of brutal rape and death of a young woman in Delhi which had shaken the collective conscience of the nation.
He said the government had taken prompt action on the recommendations made by Justice Verma Committee and the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance 2013 was now ready for introduction in the Parliament in the Budget Session.
The President said there has been improvement in the country's internal security in 2012. However, he emphasised that "we must be unwavering in our efforts to thwart any attempt by anti-national forces conspiring to weaken our country's unity and integrity.
"Our commitment to strengthen the counter terrorism infrastructure must remain strong. He advised bordering states to keep extra vigil."
He also said that various programmes undertaken in border areas relating to infrastructure development need to be expedited to meet the growing challenges.
The President said there is urgent need to strengthen the delivery systems of government programmes. "A look at the states that have progressed faster as compared to others indicate that they have strong and well administered delivery systems," it was quoted as saying in a press release issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor
- Theatre Is a Beautiful Platform, Says Shahid Kapoor
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead