Be a responsible citizen. Come, pledge to always check and share verified and vetted news.
1-min read

Delhi Gangrape: No questionnaire was given to SDM, says Kumar

Updated: December 25, 2012, 5:15 PM IST
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Delhi Gangrape: No questionnaire was given to SDM, says Kumar
The Delhi Police Commissioner also said the persons who attacked constable Subhash Tomar were arrested from the spot.

New Delhi: Rejecting Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's charges of interfering in the recording of the gangrape surviver's statement by the Sub Divisional Magistrate, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said, "No questionnaire was given to SDM by the police."

Police's strong response came a day after Sheila shot off a letter to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde citing a communication to her by Deputy Commissioner (East) BM Mishra that Sub Divisional Magistrate Usha Chaturvedi had complained about senior police officials' interference while she was recording the statement of the victim.

Leveling allegations against the SDM who recorded statement, the Police Commissioner said, "This is the third incident involving this lady SDM officer." The SDM had complained that police had told her to ask the victim only from the questionnaire the investigators had prepared.

The Police Commissioner said that the SDM could have refused to record the statement if at any point she had felt pressure from the police.

As soon as Sheila complained to Home Minister on Monday, police immediately sought recording of the 23-year-old's statement before a Metropolitan Magistrate, which has more legal value.

Neeraj Kumar said the Delhi Police will provide all aid to the family of constable Subhash Chand Tomar who died after being badly beaten up during protests against the gangrape of a 23-year-old physiotherapist.

The Delhi Police Commissioner said that police will provide job to one family member of constable Tomar. He further said that Rs 10 lakh ex gratia will be given to the family of Tomar. Delhi Police will also donate one day salary, Neeraj Kumar added.

On Tomar's death, the Delhi Police Commissioner said that a probe will begin on the death of the deceased constable. The persons who attacked Tomar were arrested from the spot, Neeraj Kumar added.

Tomar, who had received severe injuries in the protests on Sunday, died in a hospital on Tuesday morning. He is survived by wife, two sons and a daughter. Tomar was cremated with full state honours on Tuesday noon.

With Additional Inputs From PTI

First Published: December 25, 2012, 5:15 PM IST
Read full article
Next Story
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp