Nepal: Girl set on fire by Indian boyfriend dead
Police said Babu Khan had poured petrol on the girl and set her on fire after she refused to elope with him against the wish of her parents.
Kathmandu: A 16-year-old Nepalese girl, who had received 90 per cent burns after being allegedly set on fire by her Indian boyfriend for refusing to elope with him, died in a hospital in Kathmandu on Wednesday.
The girl, identified as Shiva Hasami by police, was shifted to a government hospital in Kathmandu from Bheri Zonal Hospital on Tuesday as she was in a critical state.
She died on Wednesday morning, according to Nepal Police spokesman Keshav Adhikari.
23-year-old Babu Khan, a resident of Baharaich in Uttar Pradesh who was a mechanic in a motorcycle workshop near the girl's house in Bardiya district of western Nepal, had poured petrol on her and set her on fire after she refused to elope with him against the wish of her parents, the senior police official claimed.
Adhikari said the girl's statement was recorded by the police before her death in which she stated that Khan had set her ablaze by pouring petrol on her after asking her to come out of her house.
A case has already been registered against Khan in the Bardiya District Court. If convicted, he will get life imprisonment or 20 years in jail, according to police.
- US has Now Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Afghanistan Defends India's Surgical Strikes Along LoC
- Adnan Sami Responds To Haters After He Was Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief