New visa norm leads to fewer Indian students in UK
However, the overall number of international students going to UK has remain unchanged despite the new visa system.
London: The new student visa system in Britain that was introduced to prevent abuse has led to a decline in the number of students coming from India, but the overall number of international students has not changed, according to a Home Office minister.
"I accept there has been a decline in the number of students coming from India," Home Office minister of state Lord Henley said.
During a debate in the House of Lords on Thursday, Labour peer Lord Judd has asked Lord Henley if he had looked at the evidence of what has happened to the number of students coming from India?
"The increase in the number of students coming from other parts of south-east Asia easily compensates for the decline from India," Lord Henley said.
"We are not seeing a decline in the overall number of students coming to universities. What we are seeing is a decline in the numbers of those who were coming here allegedly to study but using that as a way of getting round the immigration system," he said on Thursday.
Stating that the controversial changes made to the student visa system were "quite right", the minister said "I am proud of it, and there has been no damage to United Kingdom universities as a result".
Lord Henley said that the changes were intended to "reform the student visa route".
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18