Nicola Adams wins women's boxing flyweight gold
Adams knocked down Ren in the second round with a dynamic flurry of punches.
London: Flyweight Nicola Adams of Britain won the first Olympic gold medal in women's boxing, stunning world champion Ren Cancan of China in a 16-7 victory on Thursday.
Adams knocked down Ren in the second round with a dynamic flurry of punches and finished off the top-seeded flyweight in impressive style. Adams dominated the middle rounds by a combined 10-3.
Adams lost the last two world championship finals to Ren, but also beat the Chinese champion in another bout earlier this year.
Adams celebrated the final bell by throwing a few punches at the roaring home crowd. Adams' two British teammates also were favored to medal, but lost early.
Women's boxing made its Olympic debut at the London Games.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310: This is How The Remodeled Unit Will Look Like
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology