Nimbus gets notice over racist ad
The I&B Ministry has come down heavily on Neo Sports' ads during the recently concluded India-West Indies series.
New Delhi: If the telecast row hadn't got private broadcaster Nimbus shaken up, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has issued a second show-cause on them for showing commercials with racial overtones.
The I&B Ministry has come down heavily on a series of commercials shown on Neo Sports during the recently concluded India-West Indies series, that ran a punchline: "It's tough being a West Indian in India."
"The notice has been issued on Wednesday and they have to reply by Monday," a senior official was quoted as saying by news agency PTI on Friday. He added that the Ministry had taken cognizance of the advertisements from well before.
The Ministry claims the West Indian natives have been shown in poor light throughout a number of commercials forming a lead-up to the four-match series against India, which the hosts won 3-1. Nimbus have been told to explain it.
If the private broadcaster fails to do so, the official added that they could be handed out a punishment ranging from an apology, which can also amount to a withdrawal of their uplinking-downlinking licence.
Nimbus had been slapped with a show-cause earlier for not sharing live feed encryption with public broadcasting regulator Prasar Bharati during the same cricket series.
As a stop-gap measure, the private broadcaster was asked to provide encryption with a seven-minute delay. But a verdict on Thursday directed Nimbus to to share live encryption with Doordarshan and All India Radio, without the seven-minute delay.
The Ministry had issued the show-cause notice to Nimbus, threatening to withdraw licence or slap them with a fine of upto Rs 1 crore, if it failed to remove the seven-minute delay from the live feed it gives to DD and AIR.
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Debit Card Fraud: Jaitley Seeks Report, Says Aim is to Contain Damage
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top 5 Victories Over Pakistan
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Prevail 3-2 in Pacy Encounter vs Pakistan
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura