DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Nine killed as thunderstorm hits West Bengal
At least nine persons were killed when a thunderstorm hit several districts of West Bengal on Saturday.
Kolkata: At least nine persons were killed when a thunderstorm hit several districts of West Bengal on Saturday. In Murshidabad, four farmers who were busy working in the field at separate places were killed by lightning, officials said.
Similarly, in South 24 Parganas district, Rita Mandal, 70, and Sanath Mistri, 65, were struck by lightning when they were working outside their houses in Gosaba block.
Besides Gosaba, Canning and Basanti blocks were badly affected by hailstorm as several roads got blocked due to felling of trees. Kuccha houses and crops were also left damaged in some parts of the state, sources said.
In North 24 Parganas district's Barasat also a 30-year-old man was killed due to lightning.
While in Malda district, a woman died in lightning strike in Englishbazar last night and a man was killed after being hit by a hailstone during the storm at Chanchol, officials said.
On Friday, the hills of Darjeeling had experienced unseasonal snowfall and hailstorm while heavy rains lashed the metropolis and adjoining districts leaving five persons dead.
Recommended For You
- Sachin: A Billion Dreams: It Coasts Along on the Strength of Nostalgia
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Virender Sehwag Asked to Apply for the Post of India Coach
- Take a Journey Through the Lives of Famous Sportsmen With These Films
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi