No extension of deadline on cable digitalisation: Soni
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on Friday said Delhi was lagging behind other metros in this process.
New Delhi: Ruling out extension of deadline for digitisation of cable television beyond October 31, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on Friday said Delhi was lagging behind other metros in this process.
Soni met Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and asked her to ensure that all households having cable TV connection installed digital set top box (STB) before the deadline.
"Only 70 per cent people in Delhi have installed the digital device while in Mumbai 90 per cent people have installed it. The percentage for Kolkata is 77 and for Chennai it is around 70," she said.
The Union Minister said though Delhi was lagging behind in installation of STBs, she was confident that 100 per cent household would install the digital device by October 31 as Dikshit had assured full implementation of the decision of I and B Ministry.
Resolving to implement the "major reform initiative", the Union Minister said the deadline for installation of STBs in four metros is not going to be extended any further. "There is not going to be any extension of the deadline."
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry had extended the earlier deadline of June 20 to October 31 following demand by cable operators.
"Through digitisation, people will be able to excess internet connection, phone connection and even be able to watch TV on mobile. It is a major reform initiative in the (television and broadcasting) sector," she said.
Dikshit, asked about Delhi lagging behind other metros in installation of STBs, said government would soon launch a campaign to make people aware about the issue.
"Delhi will not hesitate to implement it. I think it is a step forward towards modernisation. People in Delhi will install the device by October 31. I have assured it to the Minister," she said.
The digitisation of cable TV networks will offer the viewers a wider choice of channels and ensure high quality of audio and video.
- Delhi Minister Satyendra Jain Alleges BJP Conspiracy Behind Income Tax Notice
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Visitors Banned from Taking Photo, Video of Parliament House Complex
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani