No Message on Past Cross-LoC Strikes Was Conveyed: Foreign Secretary
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had denied Congress’s claims of surgical strikes in the past. (FILE PHOTO: PTI)
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Tuesday said only the Army would know whether cross-LoC surgical strikes were undertaken in the past as no "message" about such raids were conveyed.
The clarification about what transpired at a meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on External Affairs, which was briefed on the strikes by Jaishankar, came after PTI reported that some opposition MPs quoted him as saying the army had carried out "target specific, limited-calibre, counter-terrorist operations" across the LoC in the past too but this was for the first time the government had gone public about it.
An earlier report by PTI, carried in this space, had claimed that Jaishankar's statement before the parliamentary panel contradicted an earlier statement by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar that no cross-LoC strikes were carried out during the time of previous governments.
But that report by the news agency was rejected by CNN-News18 sources who said the Foreign Secretary had said that only the Army would know whether there were any previous cross-LoC strikes and that it was irrelevant anyway because there was no message.
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Who Stands With Whom in Samajwadi Party Pariwar
- How Shivpal's Removal From Cabinet by Akhilesh Shocked the Mulayam Camp
- BJP Labels SP as Sinking Ship, Demands Akhilesh to Prove Majority
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official