No Message on Past Cross-LoC Strikes Was Conveyed: Foreign Secretary
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had denied Congress’s claims of surgical strikes in the past. (FILE PHOTO: PTI)
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar on Tuesday said only the Army would know whether cross-LoC surgical strikes were undertaken in the past as no "message" about such raids were conveyed.
The clarification about what transpired at a meeting of the Parliamentary Committee on External Affairs, which was briefed on the strikes by Jaishankar, came after PTI reported that some opposition MPs quoted him as saying the army had carried out "target specific, limited-calibre, counter-terrorist operations" across the LoC in the past too but this was for the first time the government had gone public about it.
An earlier report by PTI, carried in this space, had claimed that Jaishankar's statement before the parliamentary panel contradicted an earlier statement by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar that no cross-LoC strikes were carried out during the time of previous governments.
But that report by the news agency was rejected by CNN-News18 sources who said the Foreign Secretary had said that only the Army would know whether there were any previous cross-LoC strikes and that it was irrelevant anyway because there was no message.
Recommended For You
- Fallout of Indo-Pak Tension?Wasim Akram to Miss IPL 2017 Due to 'Professional Commitments'
- Source Advisorkhoj#FutureIsCashless, But Your Money Should Grow Too!
- Birthday SpecialDilip Kumar Birthday Special: 10 Memorable Films by the Actor
- CAPTAIN MARVELVirat Kohli: The Milestone Man
- MR CONSISTENTVirat Kohli Retains Second Spot In ICC ODI Rankings