Nokia's Lumia 520, 620 drive Windows Phone share to 9.2 pc in Europe
Nokia is the main user of Microsoft's Windows Phone platform and the driver behind the increase.
Frankfurt: Microsoft's Windows platform has reached a 9.2 per cent share in the smartphone operating system (OS) market in key European markets, driven by Nokia's low and mid-range models, market research firm Kantar said on Monday.
During the three months to August, the Windows Phone platform reached a market share of over 10 per cent for the first time in France and Britain, with 10.8 per cent and 12 per cent respectively, the researcher said.
Nokia, which earlier this month agreed to sell its mobile phone handset business to Microsoft, is the main user of the Windows platform and the driver behind the increase.
"Windows Phone's latest wave of growth is being driven by Nokia's expansion into the low and mid-range market with the Lumia 520 and 620 handsets," said Kantar analyst Dominic Sunnebo.
"These models are hitting the sweet spot with 16 to 24 year-olds and 35 to 49 year-olds, two key groups that look for a balance of price and functionality in their smartphone."
Google's Android, which runs on Samsung and Sony smartphones among others, remained the leading platform in key European markets, which include Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.
Android's market share increased to 70.1 per cent from 68.8 per cent in the same period last year. Apple's iOS was the second-biggest platform with a 16.1-per cent market share, 2 percentage points more than last year.
BlackBerry, which earlier this month agreed to go private, saw its market share more than halved to 2.4 per cent from 5.8 per cent.
- Dhanteras Buying Fails to Lift Gold; Falls Rs 110
- Dhanteras: Festival of Wealth
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- Heavy traffic jams reported in Delhi on Dhanteras
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: Ranbir Kapoor-Anushka Sharma's Love-Hate Relationship On Set
- I Am Botoxed, so Are Most People in the Film Industry: Karan Johar
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Which One To Buy: Apple iPhone 7 Plus or Google Pixel XL
- Will Act Against Raj Thackeray if he Breaks Law: Fadnavis