North East students body calls bandh tomorrow
The rally has also been organised to demand adequate security to NE students outside the region.
Guwahati: The North East Students Organisation (NESO), the apex student body of the region, has called a 12-hour bandh in all states of the region, except Assam, on Thursday to protest against influx of migrant labourers and others into the region from other states.
There will be bandhs in other states while a central rally would be held in Guwahati on Thursday to be participated by constituent student organisations of all the NE states, NESO chairman Dr Samujjal Bhattachrjya said.
The Assam government on August 29 declared a ban on all bandhs in the state for a month as the Centre was worried that some organisations were trying to stoke social tension by calling bandhs in the aftermath of the recent violence between tribal Bodos and the minorities.
The rally has also been organised to demand adequate security to NE students outside the region in the aftermath of the recent attacks on them which resulted in large scale exodus, Bhattachrjya said.
Announcing about the bandh call in Manipur, a spokesman of the All Manipur Students Union (AMSU), a constituent of NESO, said in Imphal that the state government should take steps against entry of illegal migrant labourers and restrict entry of people from other states as the population of Manipuris is 'microscopic'.
The spokesman said representatives of AMSU would participate in the Guwahati rally.
Police posts in Manipur were alerted ahead of Thursday's strike, official sources said.
The All Arunachal Pradesh Students' Union (AAPSU) too has declared a 12-hour Arunachal Pradesh bandh on Thursday. In a statement in Itanagar, the AAPSU sought support and cooperation from people across the state.
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai's Scorching Chemistry Will Make Your Jaws Drop
- The Break up Song in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Promotes Women Empowerment: Karan Johar
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18