Now, dial *99# from any handset for banking services
Checking your bank balances or placing a request for a cheque book has been made as simple and hassle-free.
Mumbai: Checking your bank balances or placing a request for a cheque book has been made as simple and hassle-free as dialing *99# from your mobile. Just dial *99# from your mobile of any make, every banking service, be it fund transfer or checking balances, comes at platter.
Formally rolled out by Finance Minister P Chidambaram last Saturday at the national banking conference in Pune as part of the government's financial inclusion programme, the service, one of the unique empowerment initiatives, is being facilitated by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI).
"The new initiative is the NPCI's way of making mobile banking more universal. Currently, we need a smartphone to download such applications, which an average mobile user does not have. So, we decided to provide the application even on a simple handset to reach out to a larger section of the society," said NPCI Managing Director and Chief Executive AP Hota.
Currently, the service is available on BSNL and MTNL network across 23 banks. Hota said that since there are 14 mobile operators, it would take some more time before it gains traction.
Recommended For You
- I Always Wanted to Bat Like Virender Sehwag, Says Sunil Gavaskar
- Renault Kwid Crosses 1.3 Lakh Sales Mark in India
- Would Choose Margarita With a Straw Over Any Big Budget Film: Sayani Gupta
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Coldplay- Chainsmokers Collaboration is Here and We Expected Something Just Like This