Mumbai gets NSG hub seven months after 26/11
Commandos played key role in hostage rescue during terrorist attack.
New Delhi: The Mumbai hub of National Security Guards (NSG) became operational on Tuesday, nearly seven months after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
"After the Mumbai terror attack, a need was felt to have the presence of NSG in other metros also for effective and quick response in countering such incidents. Thus, four regional hubs were sanctioned and are being raised and operationalised at Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Kolkata," an official statement read in Mumbai on Monday.
While the Mumbai regional hub becomes operational June 30, the hubs at Chennai, Hyderabad and Kolkata will become operational on July 1.
"The government has also sanctioned two NSG regional centres to be established at Kolkata and Hyderabad. The existing hubs at Kolkata and Hyderabad will subsequently be merged with the regional centres," the statement added.
The new NSG hubs have been established at Marol (23 acres) in Mumbai, Nedunkundram (85 acres) in Chennai, Trimulghery (22 acres) in Hyderabad and Badu (20 acres) in Kolkata.
"Pre-fabricated and permanent structures are being constructed to station NSG commandos at these locations. The National Buildings Construction Corporation Ltd (NBCC) has been assigned the construction work," the statement added.
After the Mumbai terror attacks, the cabinet had approved setting up of NSG hubs in the metropolitan cities to quickly mobilise commandos in case of a terrorist strike.
"With the establishing of the hubs, the response time of NSG for countering any terrorist action would be reduced very significantly," said the statement.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram says the Government has kept its promise by providing a new NSG hub in Mumbai. "We have kept our promise to the people. Soon more hubs will be created in other cities. NSG is an elite force involved in counter-terrorism and anti-hijacking," he stated.
- Donald Trump Vows to Sue Sexual Misconduct Accusers
- Adult Film Star Jessica Drake Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Donald Trump Announces 100-Day Presidency Plan
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous