Odisha: Boy kills himself for failing to pay school fine
The fine was imposed by the school for attendance shortage and the boy was subsequently refused permission to sit for a test.
Bhubaneswar: A Class 10 student in Odisha allegedly killed himself by consuming poison because his parents couldn't pay the Rs 250 fine imposed by the school for attendance shortage and he was subsequently refused permission to sit for a test, police said on Thursday. Alekh Chandra Mandal, a resident of Khandahar village in the district of Balasore, about 210 km from Bhubaneswar, was the son of a couple who earned daily wages, police inspector MK Deo said.
The 15-year-old was to sit for a test beginning on Thursday. However, the school authorities asked him to pay fine to appear in the test. The boy was upset after his parents expressed their inability to arrange the money in short notice.
The boy, who consumed poison on Wednesday, died in a hospital after several hours of treatment. Though no suicide note was recovered, police have started investigation after registering a case against the school headmaster on the basis of a complaint lodged by the boy's father, Deo said.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines