Odisha launches Rs 1 per kg rice scheme for poor
According to the scheme, the government will provide 25 kg of rice at Rs 1 per kg every month to every family below the poverty line.
Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday launched a Rs 1 per kg rice scheme for poor people in Odisha from the Maoist dominated district of Malkangiri, an official said.
According to the scheme, the government will provide 25 kg of rice at Rs 1 per kg every month to every family below the poverty line (BPL) along with some other catagories from state's backward regions, the official said.
The chief minister distributed the highly subsidised rice to people of primitive Bonda tribe at a ceremony organised by Malkangiri administration, about 600 km from here.
Patnaik had announced the scheme Jan 26 on the Republic Day to provide food security to over 58 lakh families in the state.
"A hunger free Odisha is my dream," Patnaik said.
All Dalit and tribal students; Antyodaya card holders, the physically challenged and families listed under above poverty line (APL) category in Kalahandi, Bolangir and Koraput districts will also be covered under this scheme.
The state was earlier also providing subsidised rice at the rate of Rs.2 per family to about five million people, including poor and other selected categories since 2008 as per its pre-poll commitment.
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Big B Has a Different Level of Passion Towards His Work: Anees Bazmee
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled
- Rampant Borussia Dortmund Will Put Stuttering Real Madrid to the Test
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
From Our Network
- What ails Amma? Medical all-clear fails to end guessing job over Jayalalithaa's health- FirstPost
- JD(U) leader Sanjay Jha comes out in Arun Jaitley's defense, rules out his involvement in DDCA scam - Pradesh18
- Dadri lynching: Police find no evidence of cow slaughter by Akhlaq family, to file closure report - Pradesh18